Update (17 December):
The Project Monadnock Technology Preview has been released to qualified customers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how you can participate.
OSR’s latest project, code named Monadnock, is our next generation file encryption Solution Kit. Monadnock began with OSR’s 15 years of experience delivering successful, market-proven, encryption solutions to customers around the world. From this, we completely re-imagined, redesigned, and newly implemented a foundation for building dynamic per-file encryption products in the twenty-first century.
- Start With Best in Class Code — The Monadnock Solution Kit provides all the infrastructure needed to demonstrate a working dynamic per-file encryption/decryption product. Starting with this code, your team adds the customization (such as unique user interface, encryption policy, and key management) that differentiates your product and provides your unique added value.
- Customization Almost Exclusively in User Mode — Virtually all the customization your team will need to perform can be done in user-mode, using C or C++. Of course, OSR is ready to help if your product requires extensive customization including changes to kernel-mode code.
- Encrypt Files Anywhere — Your policy can include encryption anywhere: In the \Windows directory of your local drive, on a server onsite or in the cloud, on a USB or other removable media device – wherever you like – and it just works.
- Performance — An encryption solution has to be secure and it has to be reliable, that’s a given. And while customers are willing to accept some overhead for encryption operations, performance is certainly among the top issues with which per file encryption solutions struggle. That’s why engineering team members expended a great deal of effort designing performance into Monadnock from the beginning. From the new on-disk structure to sleek interface model to the way we’ve implemented the file system filtering: Performance was a number one goal.
- Efficiency — Encrypted files remain small, even including encryption header and key information.
- Interoperability — Everyone runs an anti-virus solution on their computer. Users expect an encryption solution to “play well” with whatever other software they have running on their machines. Monadnock was designed using the Isolation Filter approach, based on the “same stack” file system filter model OSR pioneered back in the mid-90s and that is now (finally) officially endorsed by Microsoft. The result: Dramatically increased interoperability with all types of other file system filters.
- Multi-Platform Support. This is a vital part of building products these days: customers want to share data between their devices, be it PC, Mac, iPhone, Android device or even Windows tablet or phone.
We have learned a lot working with our previous solutions in this space, and understanding the needs of both our customers and their end-users. The features described above barely begin to represent the “wins” users will experience as they develop solutions based on Monadnock and demonstrate their resulting product to end-users.
With Monadnock, you can:
- Use a solution that is built upon years of development and customer experiences
- Deliver a product to market fast – much faster than even previous OSR technologies could offer
- More easily maintain and enhance your product
- Offer your end-users a highly functional, secure encryption solution, that doesn’t compromise performance
- Leverage OSR’s experience and reputation in this highly specialized solution space
Need a Visual?
To better help you visualize the technology behind Monadnock, here’s a sneak peek at the components involved in the Monadnock architecture:
Even better, here are some videos that demonstrate capabilities of the Technical Preview, to be available soon:
Project Monadnock – Basic Operations
The following video (length: less than 3 minutes) provides some insight into the basic operations of the Monadnock Technical Preview release.
Project Monadnock – Native vs Encrypted File Copy
The following video (no audio; length: just over one minute) provides an example of file copy performance of the Monadnock Technical Preview vs. a native file copy.
Technology Preview Now Available
A preview of OSR’s Project Monadnock technology is available now for immediate download by qualified companies. The Technology Preview allows you to install and use an example on-access file encryption implementation that we built using the Project Monadnock Solution Kit. You’ll experience the speed, flexibility and efficiency of Monadnock. Once you’ve had a chance to try it, we’re confident you’ll agree with a senior developer from a prospective client that wrote to tell us:
“Congrats on the Technology Preview – a neat demo to play with. I tried it … and it worked well and stable. Performance is excellent.”
Full trial versions (including source code) will be available during the Beta testing cycle. These trial versions will allow customers to rapidly build proof-of-concept product prototypes and get an early start on development of their Monadnock-based product.
Want to Know More?
To find out more about project Monadnock, discuss your specific file encryption requirements, or learn about opportunities to join the beta program, contact the OSR Sales Team.
[…] Per-File Dynamic Encryption […]